BRAVE FRONTIER RADIO

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1.) You are not logged in. Click on register below and fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.

2.) You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

3.) If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.address.

Before posting makes sure to read the general rules first. Enjoy staying here in our community and may the force be with you.

- BFR Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BRAVE FRONTIER RADIO

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1.) You are not logged in. Click on register below and fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.

2.) You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

3.) If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.address.

Before posting makes sure to read the general rules first. Enjoy staying here in our community and may the force be with you.

- BFR Admin

BRAVE FRONTIER RADIO

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BRAVE FRONTIER RADIO

The No.1 Two-way Radio Community Forum in The Philippines

Welcome to BFR community. If you’re a Guest you can join us and register by clicking "Log in" on the upper right-hand side of the forum page. We are really excited to have you as part of our team. Start interacting with us and share your best practices, tips, and tricks about TWO-WAY Radio. Thank you and we are looking forward to hearing from you soon! – Admin Tomzki.

Cebu ghost story

Admin Tomzki
    Admin Tomzki
    Admin
    Admin

Cebu ghost story Empty Cebu ghost story

Post  Admin Tomzki Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 am

I moved to Cebu City, Cebu Province, Central Visayas, Philippines in late April and married Karen two months ago. Recently she's told me some family stories, and a few other tales. Hope you enjoy them.

Karen's kid sister, Kim, is 13 years old and going to high school at a college campus here in town, I forget which one. That's common here, that a college or university also has elementary and high schools. She's entered several beauty contests and was recently (last weekend) at a pageant at the resort town of Baggao up on the island of Luzon, accompanied by her mother. Baggao is popular in the summertime 'cause it's up in the mountains and is cool, even cold by Philippine standards (upper 60s to mid 70s F). Anyway, Kim came down with a cold and fever this week, probably due to the cooler temps plus not getting any sleep all weekend. It seems that the ghost of a security guard who'd died there, I don't know how, was following one of the girls around, I don't know why. People advised all the contestants to stay awake nights or else the ghost would "get them". They even had a priest come in and pray over that one girl at night. (FYI Kim won fourth runner-up, in a contest for the whole Philippines, so she's the 4th-prettiest teenager in the country, I suppose.)

Karen's mom told her some stories when she (mom) was young, about their village in Samar Island where they're from. One time Karen's mom, when she was a little girl, was down by the river running some errand: washing or getting water or something, I forget now exactly what Karen told me (her mom's family lived in a small village in the mountains with no running water, etc.). It was in the evening right after dusk. She heard the sound of wings, large wings, overhead, like some huge bird or something. It was a wak wak! Luckily, one of the village elders happened to be there and he knew who the local wak was was, as did many people there- it was common knowledge. He said, "Benedicto, what are you doing? What do you want?" Next thing Karen's mom heard was the sound of wings flying away. The tradition is that if you call a wak-wak by name it'll go away and leave you alone. This wak wak just happened to be a man: I hear they're usually women.

Speaking of wak waks, just a few days ago one of Karen's co-workers, who lives near here, said that she and several neighbors heard the sound of large wings at night over their apartment building where there's a woman living there that's pregnant and near her due date. They've heard this more than once these last few nights. People say that the smell of women about to give birth or of unborn children attracts the wak wak and they try to feed on the fetuses. Sort of a human version of balut or something. *shrug* They snake their tongues down, down, down into the house from the rooftop and lap up the fetus. Or something. Maybe they just heard a night bird or fruit bat? Who knows. They believe it's a wak wak though.

Karen's mom's uncle, again in Samar, worked as a security guard. One night when he was coming home after work and was walking near a cemetery, he noticed somethng following him. I forget what Karen said this critter is called (maybe a sigbin? I'd ask her but she's at Bible study tonight) but it looked like a large pig, with oversized floppy ears, and its forelegs longer than its hind legs. She says they can look like a dog too, but with similar large ears and longer front legs. It's some kind of shape-shifter. Anyway, he started running and it chased him. He went to cut through the cemetery but it was taking way, way longer than it should. He realized that he was running in circles and was englamoured. He escaped by taking off his shirt, turning it inside-out and putting it back on that way. (Sound familiar, Irish people?) After he got home (he lived in a nipa hut on stilts) he saw that the thing was underneath his house!

The last one isn't really that scary, but it happened to us. The Saturday before last, July 4th in fact, we both watched the movie "28 Weeks Later", the sequel to "28 Days". The plot, what there is of it, was that a contagious disease called the rage virus wiped out almost all people in England. Symptoms of the disease were blood-red eyes and homicidal mania: people would attack, kill, and even try to dismember and eat anyone they encountered (except those who already had rage: how convenient). It was basically like your typical zombie movie, with people running around growling with their arms held straight out, chasing other people around. The movie was basically all chase scenes and gore. Pretty dumb, but for some reason it won all kinds of awards when it was released: go figure.

Anyway, Karen's a bit of a fraidy-cat anyway, and that night she shook me awake and said she'd heard something that sounded like a young girl saying, "Ayo! Ayo!" (That's what people here do instead of knocking on doors: they stand outside and call, "Ayoooooh! Ayooooh!") The odd part is, I wasn't really asleep yet, just starting to nod off but still aware of my surroundings, and I, too, heard something. Only what I heard sounded like a young woman saying something in Cebuano: something that started with an A. It wasn't "ayo" though: I've heard that enough times to know. It was more like a complete sentence or question. I was just dozy enough that I remember thinking, "Whatever she wants, I'll let Karen deal with it" as I often do when someone comes to the door for something. Most people here are more comfortable speaking Cebuano than English, and I only know a few words of Cebuano. (For example, "Gwapa baboy. Salamat." That means "Pretty sow. Thanks." Cebu ghost story Smile ) I thought maybe someone was at the door talking to Karen, or it was her cell phone I was hearing, or something like that. It wasn't until she'd shaken my arm and we compared notes, as it were, that I realized that something was a bit odd.

Anyway, we ended up sleeping with the lights on that night. No more scary movies for her. And the next dy I went out and bought a baseball bat: no more getting up at night to investigate noises armed with nothing more than a determined expression. Cebu ghost story Smile Plus, if our church ever holds a softball game, we'll be all set. Cebu ghost story Smile I put this last incident down to both of us being almost asleep and having just watched a horror flick, plus perhaps whatever we'd had for dinner: Jollibee spaghetti and Yum burgers, I think it was (we'd planned to go out to a nice carinderia for dinner to celebrate my country's holiday, but it was pouring down rain so we ordered delivery from the Guadalupe Jollibee). Spaghetti with sweet Filipino-style sauce and sliced hotdogs in, plus two gutbombs. Cebu ghost story Smile (We normally eat better than that, don't worry.)

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm